As per the 10-month schedule announced earlier
, I'll be leaving for my summer vacation today. The vacation is one month long, during which I will be either completely, or almost completely, offline and unavailable except via e-mail.
The development directions following the vacation, as they are planned currently, include integration of user feedback into the user interface and improvements for bittorrent support, since those two components of Hydranode were somewhat rushed out during this 6-month development session, and both require quite a bit of polish. This direction will lead to 0.3.1 to be released in August with no new major components, and next networks being developed after that. While this does introduce a delay into the original timeline, I believe it is necessery to bring existing components into a stable and mature state before introducing new components.
Madcat, signing off.
Due to several outstanding issues in the original v0.3 release, I decided to release a small hotfix right away instead of waiting for next scheduled release. This hotfix doesn't bump version number, so it's still called v0.3, but instead revision number was added to the download archives. The original release was built from r2995, hotfix from r2998.Changes:
- Fixes torrents auto-categorization in user interface(s)
- Fixes torrents downloading (windows-specific)
- Fixes files renaming from user interface(s) (windows-specific)
All download links on the site should be updated, so new downloads already include the fixes. If you previously downloaded the binaries, you can either re-download the full updated build, or download this patch for Windows
Unpack to your Hydranode installation directory, e.g. if you installed Hydranode to "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop", unpack the patch to "C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\Hydranode v0.3". In the future I hope to set up a smoother upgrade / patching method.
Considering how rushed out this release was, it would have been a miracle if it did go without glitches. However, that wasn't the case. Categories got broken shortly prior to release, as did torrent downloading (it doesn't properly create a category in the interface for the torrent). However, considering I introduced some 3000 lines of new code during the week leading up to the release, I think this is a small price to pay - actually I expected a lot more bugs since the code got practically zero testing time. As a rule, I leave at least a week of full feature freeze before releases, and use that time for public testing (beta2), however this time the time constraints didn't allow it, which led to the aforementioned bugs getting into the release/
I ran a quick count on source code sizes during last three months (since 0.2 release):
- Feb 4th (r2638): 69336 sloc
- March 1st (r2736): 70426 sloc (+1090 lines of code) [ pre-work & design of gui ]
- April 2nd (r2848): 75595 sloc (+5169 lines of code) [ main gui code ]
- Current (r2995): 81152 sloc (+5557 lines of code) [ additional gui features ]
This means I've already done 6 months of development of new features (as you remember 0.2 introduced Bittorrent module, which by itself was ~5000 lines of code), and 0.2 was somewhat rushed out as well due to the pressure to release a version a graphical version of the application. This leaves us with two large components which are in their first versions (Bittorrent module and interface) and haven't got any additional revisions except minor bugfixes. To compensate against that, I decided that the next few months of development (after I return from my vacation at the end of June) will be focused on fine-tuning the user interface and bittorrent module. This is expected to take about 2-3 months to get all things fixed, in order and stabilized. Only after that we can move on to next large components, most probably additional networks support in the engine.
I am also considering releasing a hotfix version on Wednesday to address the torrent categorization issues and some other small bugs that made it into the release; however since I didn't originally plan on this hotfix version, I can't promise I can get it done before leaving for vacation.